Friday, September 07, 2007

Frankenmuth

A traveler trekking across the United States will most likely run into a small German Village in every state. Although each town is entirely void of any real Germans, or those who speak any German, they try their hardest to imitate the quaint lifestyle of a small community found somewhere in the Alps or even the Black Forest. Michigan is no exception with it's rather eclectic town of Frankenmuth. Oddities abound in this German style village including everything from it's motorcycling Chiwawa to it's House of Horrors. Tom and I enjoyed our day there walking around in the shops and eating the best German food I have had in a long time. After living in Vienna I swore I would never eat Wiener Schnitzel ever again but after almost four years I couldn't help myself. I think my favorite part of the trip, however, was Zehnder's Market Place. The pastries here defy any qualification I could give them except "awesome". I love food if you can't tell. Their bread was great too which coming from a bread snob is high praise!

After traveling around in the Midwest I have come to the conclusion that Midwesterners have got to be the friendliest people on this planet. Everywhere we have gone so far there have been people who have helped us along the way with maps, hotels, places to eat, movie theaters, various weather predictions and explanations for Michigan's terrible drivers. Although it is a rather flat place to live geographically, the company is great!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

ha ha, you ate wiener schnitzel... :P I still say the best fake Bavarian town is Leavenworth. They have so successfully transformed themselves, they have real Germans going there. :)

Kiran said...

Sounds like a fun place, and better than Leavenworth to me. I think I may have been to Washington's quaint bavarian village a little too much.

Karlyn said...

Frankenmuth's biggest problem is that Michigan is flat. Very flat. Leavenworth has the beautiful Cascades surrounding its vacinity whereas Frankenmuth is surrounded by corn fields, as is much of the rest of Michigan. You guys will just have to come visit me at some point to get the full experience. :)

Heidi said...

I had authentic Schnitzel too! It was amazing! is there any way your could vacuum pack some my way...? So is there such thing as the "Seattle Freeze" then? (people are nicer everwhere else around the country than the Northwest?)

Rachel said...

i have heard of this "Seattle Freeze" but I don't believe it. Just because we're more reserved, we're mistaken for being unfriendly. I was told recently by an east coaster that people in Seattle are horribly passive aggressive and unfriendly. It's just culture shock. :)