Monday, September 24, 2007

Lots of work...and some fun too!



The last two weeks have gone by so quickly! I spend most of the time these days reading journal articles, doing dental charts, and comparing antemortem/postmortem radiographs. I admit I've become somewhat of a sucker for a good positive identification! Anyway, yesterday Tom and I went to a BBQ held by the head of the forensics dept. here at MSU. Before we headed over to his house, however, we all stopped by this beautiful apple orchard about five miles out of East Lansing. We had never been apple picking before so we had a great time. We ended up taking home about 20lbs of various species of apple at less than 50 cents a pound! It was great! It makes me wonder why we all have become so accustomed to paying $1.99 per pound in the grocery store for old apples that are shipped from all over the world. That's exactly what you have to pay here for Washington apples...$1.99! Why waste so much money when you have better, fresher, and probably healthier fruits right in your own backyard?

It was so gorgeous that day too! The sun was out and there was a wonderful breeze. Now all we have to do is figure out what to do with 20lbs of apples! We also had a great time at the BBQ. Tom got to play a few rounds of croquette while I played one of my favorite games ever...Apples to Apples. I've missed playing that game with my family so much!

Now that fall is finally upon us the colors are really starting to change here! I'm so excited! We really don't get anything like it at home in Washington. Tom and I are going up into Northern Michigan this weekend as an early celebration of our anniversary. I'm really hoping the weather gets a bit cooler. Today was 90 degrees and I'm tired of it. Hot weather and pregnancy don't mix. Well...better get back to all of my reading!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love apples to apples. :) you could make piles of apple butter with that! I bought some nectarines in Thorpe with mom, and had to make nectarine butter with them because we just couldn't think of any other way to use so many nectarines. Course, applesauce is easier. :)

Heidi said...

Hey there! I'm so glad to be able to read your incredible bog again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention I'm ripping that apple pic? I don't know what it is about apples, but....

Heidi said...

I LOVE THEM! Good luck with your teeth