Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Here and back again



Alas, Noel's short trip to Michigan has come and gone and it's just the two of us again. Well three if you count the little dude residing in my tummy. We had a great time with Noel shopping, going to a pumpkin patch and watching movies. I regret to say that I probably did a total of an hour or two of homework the entire time she was here...oops! Time goes by quickly when you are having fun. I think the corn maze was one of the highlights of the week. We went in thinking it would be easy and ended up spending an hour going in circles. Close to the end Noel and I cheated by going through the corn. Nobody was looking...

Now it is back to the world of statistics and murder. At the moment I'm in the middle of writing two papers. The first is a statistical analysis of a whole bunch of craniometric data collected from a population in Borneo at the end of the 19th century. The researches picked their subjects in order to show how cranial capacity could be used to prove Europeans were by far superior to pretty much everyone else by their big heads. Interestingly they usually had to manipulate the data in order to get at the results they wanted. My job here is to take the data and use it for a not so racial purpose. My second paper is on the Black Dahlia murder. If gruesome unsolved crimes are your thing then this is the murder case for you. My goodness. This poor woman was the victim of one of the most brutal crimes of the 20th century. Oh yeah, I watched the movie too...don't bother. It's bad. There is very little, if any truth in it.

Okay, I promised that I would not subject myself to the embarrassment of putting pictures of me pregnant up on the blog. I have been begged several times by different people, however, so here you go....

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I think you look adorable! Your legs are still skinnier than mine. :) I can't wait to see you again!

Kiran said...

Well, You're mom already showed me that picture, but it's still cute. Do we get to hear the story of this grusome murder, or do we have to imagine it for ourselves?
I fixed an oboe today! I don't know if you knew, but I'm working at a music store now, and find myself making lots of little repairs that no one else feels comfortable doing. This oboe was seriously out of adjustment! Nothing below G would play because the Bb key was having problems and lots of other things were out of adjustment, too. I have no idea how it got that way, but it made me really happy to be able to fix it. Maybe I need to go into instrument repair.

Karlyn said...

Thank you, it's nice to be told I'm adorable when I feel as big as a house!

Okay, so the murder was of a 22 year woman in Los Angeles. When they found her body she had been cut completely in two at the torso and had been cut through the cheek on either side of her face from her mouth to her ears. It's been over 50 years since her murder and they still don't know who did it. Everybody from Orsen Wells to Bugsy Siegel have been suspected.

Congrats on the oboe fixing. I'm a firm believer that the oboe is the hardest instrument to fix besides the bassoon. Too many little keys and the instrument is way to sensitive.

Kiran said...

Why thank you. It took me about an hour, but it wasn't really difficult. All those screw make sense, they're just fidly. I think I came to the conclusion while fixing it that the reason people think the oboe is a hard instrument to learn isn't because it is, but because your beginning oboe student doesn't have good materials. I pulled a Jones medium reed out of the drawer to use while checking the thing and with that reed and a plastic student oboe, I sounded so bad I would have been embarrassed if anyone I knew had walked into the store.