Monday, July 14, 2008

Nature-Deficit Disorder


Here is this vast, savage, howling mother of ours,

Nature, lying all around, with such beauty, and such affection for her children,

as the leopard; and yet we are so early weaned

from her breast to society, to that culture which is exclusively

an interaction of man on man.

-Henry David Thoreau

I've started a book called "Last Child in the Woods, Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder" by Richard Louv. I found it on a recent trip the three of us made up to Mt. Rainier and I haven't been able to put it down. Louv's thesis is based on a child's development and how that development relates to their direct exposure to nature. With our current advances in technology the children of today are finding fewer reasons to discover the world that lies beyond their front door. I'm only part of the way through the book but I would recommend it to any parent or want to be parent out there. Great stuff!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hello there! How formal is the service on Sunday? I would rather not come under or over dressed... (if I can help it!)

Karlyn said...

You remember. Just regular old first service.