Friday, September 19, 2008

Bag of bones...

I had a moment the other day. A new case had come into the lab and I was setting it up on the examination table. As I pulled out each bone from it's corresponding bag I was getting genuinely more and more excited. Even though the bones were in small fragments I could recognize most of them as well determine the sex of the individual and relative age. At this moment I came to realize that this was so cool! I really love what I'm doing!

I'm also learning how to take radiographs. One of the jobs of a forensic anthropologist is to be able to compare an antemortem (before death) x-ray to a postmortem (after death) x-ray of the same bone or bones. Our department is lucky enough to have a x-ray machine and developer so we get to practice producing the postmortem radiographs ourselves. It is a tedious process trying to get them just right but very satisfying in the end. Sometimes I'm tempted to try to take an x-ray of my own arm or something but then I realize I would probably end up burning myself with radiation. Not a good idea!

On a side note Connor woke up last night at about 12:30am just screaming. We could not figure out why this happened until today. One of his maxillary incisors (top front teeth) are poking through! Our little boy is growing up so fast!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Lily goes to sleep whimpering and crying quite a lot because of her molars coming in. Teeth are painful. Poor Connor - and old wives thing I read said soaking a handkerchief in a little brandy or whiskey and rubbing their gums is just as helpful as tylenol and not as concerning.

Bags of bones! sweet! ;) We'll see how well I enjoy this year - this year is the basics, accounting, leadership, mgmt, etc - NEXT year are the electives, in which every class will be like our EU class. :D Now THAT, I'm looking forward to. Just this year - and accounting! ack! - to get through.